Thursday, February 3, 2011

what's for dinner

So I feel the need to bestow my super delicious chili recipe upon the world. Here it goes:

Stella's super easy chili:

one medium onion, chopped smallish
some olive oil (note: I am not Julia Child and am not in the business of writing recipe books, so I am not exactly precise, but that is okay, you can't screw this up)
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb. ground chuck (you could use something leaner, but I don't guarantee results with something leaner)
chili powder (what you have in the house, I several kinds and I use them all)
Kosher salt
ground cumin
1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
1 15 oz can of cannenili beans
3 cups chicken stock (why chicken stock? because I never have beef stock on hand)
Cheddar cheese
Green onions, chopped

Saute onion in olive oil until tender, about seven minutes. Add garlic and continue to saute for one more minute. Add beef and brown for a bit. Before meat is completely brown, start adding the chili powder. It is probably about 3 tablesspoons. Add some salt. A couple of big pinches. Add cumin (note, my mom puts cumin, what she calls cominoes, in everything. She even suggested we put them in our Thanksgiving dressing, but I told her that our Thanksgiving would be comino free.) Add tomatoes, crushing them as you add them. Add beans (note, obviously with addition of beans, this is not a true Texas chili, but it is good, nonetheless). Add stock and cook down.

Top with cheddar and green onions and enjoy. Add corn bread if you like. Saltines if you don't. Or fritos if you are from San Antonio.

No comments:

Post a Comment