Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Montesorri, baby?

"You love your children. And God makes them different, so you love them even more." My sister in law told me this once.

My current thoughts on this are, "hell yeah he does."

Tallulah gets herself up in the morning. She takes off her diaper and puts it in the trash. She gets herself dressed down to shoes. She does all of this without being told.

When I was sick, she went to the pantry and got food for her and her sister.

Yesterday, I found her drinking milk from the jug. She had literally moved a chair to the refrigerator, got out the milk, and had herself a swig. "I was tuwsty."

We have this plate, and it has a huge crack on it. It is the plate that Annabelle hated when she was three. And if it was put in her place for dinner she would scream and cry and have a tantrum about it. The other night, I set it at Tallulah's place. I was curious to see if she would hate it too, especially since she is so neat about things and eschews cracks, dirt and imperfections in general. Turns out, she didn't like it either. But instead of screaming and crying about it, she just moved it to my spot. Problem solved.

She knows how to change the tv channel, dial the phone, look at pictures on our phones, and do crazy stuff with the iPad. All self taught. Her sister still struggles with knowing which is the on button on the remote. Can you say Luddite?

She wants to do everything for herself and by herself. So, what do I do with this child? Who is so competent and capable, but still gets concepts like forward and backward confused, let alone knowing all the different types of dinosaurs and whether they were theropods or sauropods--things that Annabelle had mastered at this age.

Do I send her to the Montessori school down the street, which would totally be a good fit for her, when her time comes for kinder?

Probably not. Because being in two different PTAs would kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment