Monday, August 9, 2010

the story of the lucky 13

Today we celebrate our 13th anniversary. The three of us marked the occasion with tulips, candles, wine, pasta puttanesca eaten on dishes from our wedding, and by digging out old wedding photos. I always get sentimental around this time, especially now, in my delicate condition. I tried to explain to Annabelle why this was a special day, but she cannot conceive of the thought that there was an us before there was an us. And when she sees picutres of us from long ago she asks "where was I?" and anwers herself "I was at grandma's house and I was sad because I wasn't there."

The other night at dinner, I put on a Frank Sinatra CD (yes some people still listen to CDs). Annabelle said, "what is this music?" I said "this is Frank Sinatra, this is some of the music mama and pap fell in love to."

Annabelle: "and then what happened?"

Me: "well, then we went on lots of dates, and hugged and kissed each other a lot and had lots of fun."

Annabelle: " and then what happened?"

Me: " then we decided to get married"

Annabelle: "and then what happened?"

Me: "then we got married and mama was the most beautiful bride ever and we had the most wonderful wedding ever and mama and Martha Stewart took 10 years off of Grandpa's life."

Annabelle: "and then what happened?"

Me: "then we moved to Houston and had lots of fun and lived in apartments and in another house and we went out to eat lots and saw movies at 10:00 at night and got dogs and furniture and went on vacations in Mexico."

Annabelle: "and then what happened?"

Me: "then one night we had margaritas and crawfish and then you were in my tummy."

Annabelle: "and then what happened?"

Me: "and then my water broke and papa said 'I have one more week' and I said, 'no you don't,' and then papa got in trouble with the doctor and then you were here and we were the happiest- happiest and you were the best baby ever."

Annabelle: "and then what happened?"

Me: "then we took good care of you and then we went to the library and HEB and then you took a nap and then we made dinner and then we were eating and you askd what kind of music this was."

Annabelle: "and then what happened?"

Me: "I am not sure yet, but I am sure it will be good."

Happy anniversary and thank you to all the people who have loved and supported us over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment