Monday, June 20, 2011

mobile to the extent she is a danger to herself or others

Tallulah can crawl. At a mere 7 months.

She had been thinking about it for a month. Rocking on all fours and scooting backwards. She was even doing this weird little thing I called knuckle walking, where she was standing up but with her hands touching the ground and trying to move around. Then after weeks of anticipation she began to crawl. Of course, we missed it. We were at Niko Nikos with some old friends. But my mom (who stayed with us for a week as part of the 3 post partum weeks she owes me now that her ankle is somewhat healed) called to fill us in on the magical details.

The next day we tried to coax her into it again, but as is the way that is baby-- no dice. So we didn't see it for a few more days. When we did see it, I would notice that she herself looked amazed, kind of like "wow, check it out!"

And then came the monolith moment of realization: crawling can get me where I want to go. Cue the music from 2001 space odessey.

Shortly followed by the mom moment of realization as she crawled over to me and pulled up on my pants leg: "oh shit. Crawling can get her where she wants to go."

Cue some kind of music that conveys dread at the thought of having to keep all the little choking hazards off the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment