Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Galveston oh Galveston!




Today Hyphen called me and said he was on his way home early. When he got home he suggested we go to Galveston for the last part of the afternoon. This was at 2:00. I, of course was game. We packed up some stuff and left about 20 minutes later. You can do this when you don't work. Your kids may not go to college, but they will always remember when you went to Galveston on the fly. Well, maybe, I mean, she is only 14 months. We got to the seawall, put out our towel and headed into the surf. Annabelle was promptly knocked down by a wave. She cried, but then forgot about it when she saw some sea foam bubbles. Annabelle loves bubbles of any form and sometimes even thinks that balls are bubbles ( okay, maybe she's not college bound anyway). But, mostly she gets it right and says "bubble bubble" whenever she sees them.


Now, Hyphen is a person who is plagued by things. He suffers from (including but not limited to) allergies, motion sickness, ocd, seasonal depression, heartburn, high cholesterol and bugs, which like to bite him. We hadn't been in the sand and water for 5 minutes when he was complaining that something bit him. He managed to catch the little bugger and showed it to me. Sure enough, some tiny white bug bit him on the butt. I wouldn't have believed it, because I just don't see how anyone can be so tormented by things, but I saw the bug, and I am a believer. But blessed are those who believe him without seeing. I am not sure who those people are, but bless their little hearts. Later he told me "My butt itches, not the anus, just the ass." Thanks for the clarification.

Once in 1996 we tried to take a little spur of the moment trip to Hamilton Pool. This event is noted in our relationship lexicon as the "Hamilton Pool incident". It took Hyphen so long just to make the sandwiches, that by the time we got there, it was closed. Today, he came home to an almost completely clean house (go on with my bad-ass June Cleaver self!) and was able to suggest that we throw some stuff in a bag and leave.


Sometimes I think our love has been a long, tortuous, equal -opportunity version of Taming of the Shrew.

No comments:

Post a Comment