Sunday, February 14, 2010

i love you mama

It is next to impossible to explain the concept of love to an almost-two-year-old. You just have to feel it, or learn it contextually. "Groc it" That is what one of my crazy college professors (Val LeClerq)would say. It was his term for understanding an ineffable concept. We have been trying to get her to say "I love you." But unlike "Thank you" and "Bless you" it has not come as easy. But I know she gets it. Last week she ran up to the dog, threw her arms around the beast and said "I love you Bella dog." Then later in the day when she found her housekey (no she is not a latch key kid, just a kid that likes to play with latch keys) she said "I love you key" with equal enthusiasm. I asked her if she loved Mama and Papa and she just smiled coyly.

Because today is Valentines day, Hyphen had to go into work. Big day in his line of work. We had a lovely tranquil moring, a nice family breakfast where we opened all of the Valentines we had received, went to Church and then Hyphen was off to expidite food all day. And then there were two. Annabelle got fussy on me and decided to throw a few tantrums. She told me "No naps mama," but then finally gave in. She woke up grumpy. Then when went to the nursery, she had a tantrum because she wanted to wear her "Sunday shoes." She cried so hard she threw up. When we came back she was cranky and hungry. After dinner she didn't want to take a bath. She wanted to listen to her favorite song (1234 by Feist) on the computer. Which means she wants to watch the music video on youtube. (the only reason I let her do this is because it is a harmless dance video to an adorable song) So I repeated her request, "Annabelle do you want to watch 1234 on the computer?" " Yes mama, " she said "Well let's do that. let's get cuddly and get some milk and then let's watch it lots of times."

Then she said "I love you mama."

Of course, when she went to bed she cried for 30 minutes because she wanted to sleep in "mama and papa's bed" and seemed genuinely pissed off because I wouldn't allow it, but such is life with an almost two year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment