Friday, June 25, 2010

the itsy bitsy pinches

Today, Annabelle grabbed my arm and pinched it, not maliciously, but it was a pinch nonetheless. I explained to her that it hurt and for her to be careful. She in turn said "Mama it was a little pinch, little pinches don't hurt."

Now here is where I beg to disagree. Once, when Audrey and I were little and were going to visit grandma and grandpa Audrey introduced me to the itsy bitsty pinches. We were bored and were in the back seat of the old red Buick and mom and dad were up front, doing the mom and dad thing, which means talking and ignoring all back seat activity unless there is high pitched screaming involved. Audrey said to me "and now it is time for the itsy bitsy pinches." She said it in a high pitched voice and drew out the itsy bitsy part and proceeded to give me the tiny pinches on my arm, and they hurt like fire ant bites. I was in horrible pain, but as usual, when my horrible pain was inflicted by Audrey, instead of screaming, I was laughing. It was pretty funny when you think about it, first you are sitting playing and then you are getting attacked by your cherubic-looking 4 year old kid sister.

I was telling this whole story to my mom and she said, incredulously, I might add, "I never knew about that."

Well, of course she didn't. Moms don't know everything that goes on between siblings--and thank God for that. But she sounded sad, and I felt sad, because I know in a few months time, I am going to have to share Annabelle with someone else. And they will have their own itsty bitsy pinches, and I will never be a part of it. And that is how it should be.

Meanwhile, I trained Annabelle, landlord Pearl-style, to say Audrey's famous tag line. I was curious, I wanted to see if Auntie remembered. We gave her a call and Annabelle said "Auntie it is time for the itsy bitsy pinches," and screamed with laughter. Auntie's response?

"Uh-oh, someone better start running!"

1 comment:

  1. Stella so nice meeting you and getting to know you love hearing about your pinches!!

    ReplyDelete