Sunday, October 17, 2010

stangers and neighbors and insensitive people

1. Strangers:
I have had three people in the past week tell me that I am going to have my baby any day now. Two of them worked at whataburger (yes, I have been to whataburger twice this week, screw you judgy people, I am gestating dammit!), one at HEB and with each one of them the conversation went exactly like this:

stranger: "when's your baby due?"

Me: "nov. 20th."

stranger: "nu-uh girl, that baby's coming next week."

Me: "you think so?"

Stranger: "that baby's already dropped. look how low you are. No, that baby's coming next week."

I told this to my OB in a futile attempt for her to change my due date back to it's original day, and not the one she devised using her fancy ultrasound machine--oh, excuse me, scientific instrument. But apparently she felt her medical degree trumped the motherly wisdom of the whataburger ladies and wouldn't even agree to split the difference with me. I am beginning to get on board with H's assessment of most doctors --western science does not understand the eastern man-- except mine mantra is something like this "skinny OBs whose kids are 12 and 8 forget how some people start to feel as if they have been pregnant for their entire lives." Well, at least my entire mid to late 30s.

2. Neighbors.

My parents have really nice next door neighbors who they spend a lot of time with. This weekend, I was in town so grandma and grandpa could visit (babysit) with Annabelle while H and I went to a wedding in Dripping Springs ( a place where we now want to move). The neighbors came by the yard to say "hi"

Brenda: "oh, you look great, you don't look that big. Your face looks perfectly normal. From the descriptions I was getting I was expecting..."

Me: "Jabba the Hut? Because that is what my sister said she was expecting. God--what is that woman saying about me?"

Brenda(nervous laughter, like "oh shit, I got Toni in trouble"): well, you look beautiful.

I left and went to check on my mom and sister and the twins, who were also visiting.

Me: "moooommmmm! what are telling people about me? Brenda said "you don't look that big." what are you saying??? And she said I look perfectly normal."

3. Insensitive people

Mom: "sweetie, she is just being kind."

No comments:

Post a Comment