Wednesday, March 21, 2012

there is nothing as peaceful as holding a sleeping baby

There is nothing as peaceful as holding a sleeping baby
as watching her as she turns her head and closes her eyes
feeling her body relax and twitch slightly as she drifts to the other side
hearing her little nose chirp as her breathing slows
feeling her warm chubby thighs on your arms
lightly touching the dimples in her hands
and admiring the heart on her face

I hear the sounds downstairs, their laughter at some invented game
and I am thankful, grateful for the sleeping soul in my arms
the raucous angel downstairs who formed me when she came out of me
the man I have loved for half my life

And my mind starts to drift in prayer
thank you lord for these people who are my world
thank you for those that made me
thank you lord for the people who came before, and who are with you now
for the time we shared with them
let me cherish this time, now
make me an instrument of your peace

I think farther away...
thank you for the people who love my people
thank you for your children, lord, in this world
in this beautiful, magical world that you have made for us

let us love our neighbors, lord
let us love our enemies, lord
bless our enemies, lord
and bless their sleeping children

amen

No comments:

Post a Comment