Wednesday, December 17, 2014

What we were excited about today.

Yesterday Annabelle came home with "a book that Mrs. Fisher read to us last year, and momma, I fell in LOVE with it. I love it. I seriously do, and I was lucky to find it."

It's about latkes. These are Jewish potato pancakes.

Today, she woke up and proclaimed " guess what today is!!??"

I thought and said "9 days until Christmas?

"No, momma. It's the first day of Hanukkah!"

Have I mentioned that I love this kid?

Her enthusiasm continued and when we got to ballet and her friend was telling everyone that she got to open a present tonight, Annabelle didn't even need to ask why. She said " I know, because it's Hanukkah! It's the first day. I am so excited."

Even at dinner she was singing the dreidel song. I have no idea how she learned this, or knows anything about Hanukkah, other than a little presentation one of her Jewish classmates did at Christmas around the world last year, but she does.

We just looked at each other and smiled. We smiled the smile we smile at each other when we can't say what we want, which is please, please, don't ever grow up. Please stay six forever. It's a sad smile--- well, not really. Not sad. Just bittersweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment