Thursday, October 22, 2009

When you bring your boss over to dinner, you don't talk about hermaphrodites and undescended testes

My sister is in town. She is attending some architecture conference. So is her boss. I picked her up from the conference and brought her home to a clean house and a semi-prepared dinner of butternut squash lasagna rolls and arugula salad with figs(can you tell today is mother's day out?). While we were waiting for Hyphen to come home, her boss texted her and asked if she had any plans for dinner. I told her to invite him to come over. So he agreed and he said he would be at our house in 30 minutes.

Now, I have never in my life seen my sister, or any pregnant woman, for that matter, move around so fast, scurrying around to tidy up my house. You would think her boss was coming to her house. She got positively mom and hyphen-like in her preparation for his arrival. Meanwhile, I laughed my ass off and made some brownies. I was looking forward to it, because I have met her boss (coincidentally he and Hyphen worked together on a project for hyphen's work) and he is totally hot and has curly hair and likes soccer.

Audrey is one of those weird people who have a work persona. Her work persona is very serious. She is very much like Hyphen in this way (why God am I surrounded by anal -retentive type freaks?) and she gave us a short lecture about not embarrassing her. What, us? Embarrass?

So he gets here, we start to chat and I open with something like this: "so you architects are real serious about this CLE stuff, not like attorneys who just check in and then go get drunk at the hotel bar."

We ate dinner, and then dessert, and talked and eventually Hyphen drove him home.

Then the list of grievances began:

Audrey: "This is a professional person that I have to work with and talk to every day. Talking about penises and hermaphrodites. I have never been so embarrassed in my enitre life."

Me: "it's midnight. He stayed until midnight, obviously he was having fun. And he was the one talking about hermaphrodites."

Audrey: "the English language rip-off school for third world countries? "Ha-vad"? Why did H____ have to bring that up? He just stayed because he was shocked. And now I know he likes weirdo music and goes to clubs. Argghhh. And why did you have to tell him you have a crush on pirates? And I am not a grumpy pregnant person."

In summary:
1. Audrey's boss is a hottie
2. He stayed at our house until midnight
3. Audrey is the grumpiest pregnant person of all time.
4. shiver me timbers

No comments:

Post a Comment