Thursday, July 28, 2011

getting schooled in meteorology

true phone conversation:

Me: I am so excited, I think we are going to get some rain on Friday

Mom (with certainty): no, you are not. I just saw it in the paper.

Me (worried): what?? I just saw it on the news, we are getting some rain from don.

Mom: no, you're not. We are getting it, I saw the map. It is coming here.

Me(relieved): well, yeah, that is where it is making landfall, but we will still get some rain from it.

Mom (totally annoyed and superior): No. You. Won't. There is a map and it show this shape, like a cone....

Me: (pissy and teenagerish) : yes mom, I know. It is the cone of uncertainty. I have lived through two hurricanes. That is where the storm will make landfall, but we will still get rain.

Mom (defensive and huffy): well, all I know is what the paper says, and it says that it is coming here and you are not on the orange map

Me(raised voice): yes, I know we are not on the map. All I know is what I just saw on the news, told to me by Frank Billingsly, who is a certified meteorologist. Are you a certified meteorologist?

Mom: no, are you?

Touche.

1 comment: