Friday, July 29, 2011

if not a meteorologist then are you a pediatrician?

Toot-a loo was real sick today. Throw up sick. Limp like a rag doll sick. And in the middle of the vomits, subsequent baths, three year old stressing about her sister being sick, and calling the doctor, canceling our photo appointment, packing the diaper bag to go to the doctor and cleaning up the vomit, I called my mom. I told her what happened. She woke up from her nap and was like a newborn who couldn't hold up her head and then she threw up twice. Then my mom said the following (and I wish I was making this up): "Quick Stella, take off her diaper and check her all over for ticks. What if a tick bit her in her crib?"

Sigh. My reply? "What are you talking about? what ticks? there are no ticks."

Mom: "but something could have bitten her."

Me: "but how would that make her vomit?"

Then I realized this was headed toward her telling me about some dread disease that she heard about in some chain email and so I hung up the phone.

A very alert pediatrician diagnosed her with a uti. "Most doctors would think this is a stomach virus and send you home, and would say I worry too much, but this just doesn't seem like a stomach virus to me. And I always worry about the babies and the uti's" A blood test and a catheterization to get a urine sample proved his suspicion correct. Which is why he is a super doctor. Literally, he is on the list.

But he did not think ticks or any other arachnids were involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment