Monday, September 3, 2012

use of the word aye as the affirmative in the language development of the non-scottish 22 month old



Rule number one of parenting siblings: you are not supposed to compare your kids, because they are two different people and it isn't healthy and fair and makes for sibling rivalry and all that bad stuff that makes people need therapy as adults.

Umm, ok, I am not sure what idiot made up that rule, but since I know no other kids I do it all the time.

When Annabelle was this age, she was talking up a storm and I remember specifically one cute thing she said at almost the same age"I scared of da bug mama" referring to a fake scorpion she saw at my sister's house (cat toy, of course, my sister and her husband are those people with all the cats).

So first person, emotion, preposition, noun. Lots of cool stuff.

Tallulah? Not so much. She says something like, "bee, bee mama!" no bee, no bite my."

Our doctor, at her 18 month check up, basically told me that as long as she could say 12 words, she was normal and in his opinion, she was ahead of the curve, and "annabelle talking that much at that age, that wasn't normal. Tallulah is fine."

We are catching up (not to annabelle, of course, because I am not comparing them, just to some imaginary child out there that talked a lot), slowly. Go, see papa? Papa, go pool. where quack-quacks mama? My turn.

But one thing she still can't say, is yes.

She says aye instead.

As in yes, "Tallulah, do you want some milk?"

"Aye"

Or for all right, "Tallulah, let's get you out of this high chair and go change your poops."

"Aye"

And sometimes, when she is really content, drinking her milk, a deep throaty, "Ayyyee" after a couple of swigs.

Thankfully, all of the time I have spent reading the Outlander series and ignoring my kids has paid off in my understanding of its different meanings.

We have; however, mastered no. It was, in fact one of our first words, right after mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment