Tuesday, August 25, 2009

can you tell me how to get back to the 70s so I can watch the real sesame street?

So the other day someone asked me what Annabelle's favorite shows are, and I had no answer. Annabelle does not watch t.v. because to quote steel magnolias "there is nothing but trash and naked people on it." (ouiser was talking about movies, but same the sentiment is the same) Except we do watch the 7:30 hour of the today show, which at times is just as salacious as anything else, but I have a serious Matt Lauer addiction, so a little smut is okay. But my friend, who is the best mom ever, lets her little girl watch sesame street and since her little girl is super smart and sweet, I figured I'd give it a whirl.

The good thing about sesame street is that it keeps her entertained. I clean house for a bit while she watches it. And it can be fun to watch. Brian Williams was on the other day, acting ridiculous. He's no Matt Lauer, or even Tom Brokaw, but he's still kind of cute (I think I have a thing for serious journalists, and yes, Hyphen, you jealous jerk, Matt Lauer is a serious journalist) And some folk singer named Leslie Feist, who I now love.

The bad things about sesame street:

1. There is a chick with a nose ring. Umm, how am I supposed to tell my teenage, or 8 year old child that they can't get a nose ring when they can brilliantly counter "well So and So from Sesame Street (I am not sure of her name) has one!" Seriously, people have some consideration for the silent majority who don't want to ever have this conversation. Now, I know that this lady is Persian or Indian or something, and that the children's television workshop is trying to be inclusive, but can't we just go back to the time when Maria was the exotic one? Do we have to be so politically correct that we have nose rings on Sesame Street?

2. There is this segment where Elmo watches some video on a computer and it even has the little loading bar underneath the segment. Is this necessary? Why do kids, who soon enough are going to be glued to Internet (as I write my blog on it), have to pretend to watch YouTube on tv? Why can't they just be glued to tv? Which makes me wonder again, why am I even letting her watch this to begin with. She should be outside playing.

3. Murray had a little lamb. Cute segment, but it's Mary had a little lamb. And I hate the rap, see #4. "go murray, go, go, go murray." barf.

4. They changed the theme song to a rap version. Sacrilege. Seriously, I almost turned it off when I heard it. And there is no big happy dog running with kids. No harmonica. Ugh. It is enough to break your heart. Just another sign of the Apocalypse, as far as I am concerned.

Meanwhile, I am going to go to blockbuster to see if they have the Waltons on DVD.

Goodnight John-boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment