Friday, August 7, 2009

Cell Phone+ Grandma= Run

Annabelle is not allowed to play with our cell phones. One- they are not toys. Two-she is curious and destructive and that doesn't mix well with small electronic devices. But Granny and Ba-pa are here. Which means that anything goes in the Annabelle department because they have no rules or discipline, at least where their grandchild is concerned. So Annabelle and Ba-pa were playing with his phone and having a grand time , until she tried to hyper-extend it and that is when Ba-pa realized that maybe his dear old daughter was smart to prohibit this behaviour. So now, I was stuck with the task of getting this beloved toy out of her grimy little hands. So here is how it went:

Me: "okay my sweet love, we need to give that toy to Ba-pa. It is a super-fun phone and I know it is going to be hard for you, but the time to play with it is over."

Annabelle gave me a look (see below) and then walked into the corner.

Me: "give that phone to Ba-pa please. be a good girl."

Sulky face.

Me: "okay, I am going to count to 5 and then I am going to come and take it out of your hand. The time to play with it is over. One, two, three, four, five."

As I walked to get it my mother said:

Mom: "Run Annabelle."

That's right. She said "Run."

I gave my mom an eat shit and die look(see above), but not where Annabelle could see (because I am trying to teach her to be kind and respectful to her elders) and got the phone. Then I took her in my lap.

Me: "That was very hard for you. That is a wonderful phone. And I know you like to play with it. But it is not for little girls and you are being such a dear sweet girl to give it to mama without fussing."

Mom: "Annabelle, when I say run, you need to run."

Yes, she did say that. My mom was the type of kid that got beat. A lot. But apparently not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment