Saturday, June 23, 2012

a sad little milestone

We went to Central Market today--for the person in Singapore who reads my blog (according to blogger stats), whoever you are, Central market is the most awesome grocery store in the planet--and as we passed the entrance, Tallulah said, "boon, boon." I noticed that we had walked by the balloons and asked her "do you want a balloon?" And she did that little body shake that she does when she tries to nod. As I was getting her one, I asked Annabelle if she wanted one too.

"No, thank you mommy."

No thank you. From the girl whose third word was "beau" whenever she saw one. From the girl who loved them so much we had to always take her to the balloon aisle as soon as we got in the store to admire them. From the girl who always managed to let hers go and would cry so hard the store manager would come running over with a new one to appease her. No, thank you mommy.

Tallulah held onto hers while we were shopping and when she wanted to hold something else, she would give it to me until she was ready to have it back, and she held onto it all the way back to the car. Annabelle helped her with it in the car--apparently remembering the time the wind blew one of hers out of the car.

As we were driving off, Annabelle explained it to me:

"Time after time, big girls don't want to play with the things little girls like to play with."

Now, if you excuse me, I must go. We are going to go outside and try shoot some arrows that Annabelle made out of her tinker toys, that she still loves, thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment