Sunday, December 23, 2012

Oven mitts from williams sonoma

About a month ago, I started training Annabelle,  "if Papa asks you, 'what should we get mama for Christmas', this is what I want you to say: 'oven mitts from Williams Sonoma.' Let's practice it right now, ok?  I'll be Papa.  'Annabelle, what should we get Mama for Christmas?'"  Annabelle hesitated and said, "oven mitts from..mama I can't remember."  "Williams Sonoma," I corrected.

She got it right the second time and every other day or so, I would quiz her.  When I went to a Church party,  she had her chance to shine, because I knew he would ask her, and I was right.  She told me when I tucked her in that night.  "Mama, papa asked me what to get you for Christmas and I told him, oven mitts from Wee-lee-ams So-no-ma."  "Atta girl," I told her.

To be on the safe side, I also dropped some hints.  Like, " Hey Babe, if you take something out of the oven, be careful because this mitt has a hole in it and I don't want to you to burn yourself."  His reply?  A slight eyebrow lift and "oh, yeah, I just use a wet rag."  That's how I knew he knew and I knew I was screwed.

But that's ok. You see, I am the mother a four year old girl.  And so the other day she was in her room with some wrapping paper.  She came out and said coyly, "Mama, I just wrapped your preessseeeent."  She put it under the tree.  But I could see, out of the corner of her four-year-old wrapping job, that it was the toy red gingham oven mitts that she plays with all the time.

And I am loved, which is the best gift of all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment