Monday, July 20, 2009

Back in the olden days, circa 1982

Sometimes I get to wondering just what the heck kind of mom am I? In some respects I am very old school. There is no tolerance for playing with food in our house. The cell phone is not a toy. Tantrums are endured, but not endearing. We wear pajamas at night and change into clothes in the morning and we never go anywhere in our diaper. But in other respects, I am the mom that forgets her diaper bag, never has a snack, and let's her child get dirty--really, really dirty. I was thinking about this while I was at Kroger. They were handing out cookies. The cookies were butterflies with pink sprinkles on one side and were dipped in chocolate on the other. Without thinking, I grabbed one and gave it to Annabelle. As I was shopping I started to think about how when Audrey and I were kids they didn't really give out cookies, and when they started to, it was a rare occasion when we could have one. My mom cooked almost every night and she did make snacks. Back in those days, she believed in healthy eating and our snacks would be carrots sticks that she cut (not baby carrots, they didn't have those yet, or if they did, she didn't buy them) and celery sticks. She would have them in the fridge with ice chips on top. There was no ranch dressing back in 1982. You just ate them. Plain. And you liked it, dammit. If there were ever cookies in our house, they were oatmeal and hard as a rock. But they were good for you. My mom never made cupcakes and that alone has scarred me for life. Of course, that was before she turned 50, before she turned 60, and before she got cancer. Now she believes in cheese enchiladas and that this is DQ country after all, and you should go ahead and have yourself a blizzard.
I was mulling all of this as Annabelle enjoyed her cookie--enjoying it to the point that people were laughing at her chocolate covered mouth. (I intended on taking a picture of that mouth but somehow on the drive home she figured out how to lick it all off)I was at Kroger's to get a last minute item for the supper Hyphen was cooking. It was 5:30. And my daughter was eating a sugar cookie.
I of course didn't have one. I didn't want to spoil my dinner. Old habits are hard to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment