Monday, July 27, 2009

In the sunshine, in the shadow

Stop what you are doing right now and go hug your babies. Go hug your babies and then go and hug someone else's baby. And if you don't have babies of your own, or if they are grown, hug three teenagers, even though they are difficult people, teenagers especially need hugs because they have acne, angst and puberty. And then give them a compliment, or even better brag about them to someone else, where they can hear it. I did that today. I was at the library at story time and a little girl climbed into my lap. It is summertime and that means story time is crazy full. There is a daycare that drops off all of these sweet little kids-- it is the kind of daycare where 12 year olds are in the same class with 2 year olds and this little girl was one of the littlest ones. "Mean," she said, as she pointed to another little girl.(thankfully not annabelle) "Was she mean to you?" I asked. She nodded. "Do you need a hug?" I asked. A second nod. So I gave her a little cuddle. And she sat in my lap until it was time for her to leave. "Do you need a hug for the road?" I asked. Another nod. Annabelle was totally non-plussed about the lap sharing. She was too busy playing with trucks.

Today I went to a funeral of a beautiful girl. A beautiful girl. A girl who I know got lots of hugs, but like the preacher said, lost the battle she had been fighting against herself. The preacher said not to look back, and he was right. Look forward, and do something. So I am going to hug on kids--tuck a little love in whenever I can. You might be the only adult that gives someone a cuddle that day and a good hug has some staying power and its memory can cheer you up when you are feeling blue. I have personal knowledge that this is true--my little friend's hug still felt warm and wonderful during the euology.

So turn off your computer and tuck some love in. Go hug those babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment