Tuesday, November 3, 2009

if you want to see a bunch of grown women look like idiots, come and take zumba

I had it on good authority that zumba was a super fun aerobics class. So I decided to take it now that they offer it at my new and improved Y. I dropped Annabelle off at "school" and headed for the class, which is basically latin line dancing.

A few observations:

1. There were 15 women of varying ages and when I say varying, I mean I was one of the youngest.
2. There was one old man who was dreadfully out of place.
3. All but one were latin.
4. All were shaking their bom-boms.
5. All were completely uncoordinated
6. Our teacher (I am not a lesbian) was a total hottie with a perfect butt.
7. Saggy boobs come in handy when one does the shimmy shake.

So as the class gets going, I start to notice how dorky everyone is looking, including myself and I get to thinking--when I have the best moves in a dance class, there is a serious problem. Either I am in a class for geriatrics or lots of geriatrics are taking a class that is too young for them. Except, other than the one really old blue hair(who was doing hip thrusts with the rest of us) these ladies were not that old, and not to stereotype, but they should have rhythm. Then the mariachi/tejano song came on and suddenly everyone relaxed and could do the moves and it dawned on me, we just can't cumbia or salsa because that is not our culture. We are tex-mex dammit! Ah-ha-ha-ha-ha-hiiiii!

No comments:

Post a Comment