Monday, November 23, 2009

where I am right now

I am in Cabo, sitting by an infinity pool overlooking the violent Pacific waves crashing on the slick, black rocks. I am under an umbrella, eating guacamole, having a pina colada, reading a gossip magazine and wondering if Robert Pattison and Kristen Stewart are really an item. I am slightly buzzed and just about to get a sunburn. In a minute I'll start Bell Canto again, so I won't waste my entire vacation on celebrity gossip.

Don't be jealous.

Don't be jealous, because I am only there in my mind. In reality, I am in day 3, or 9 depending on how you look at it, of sick kid hell. I certain I have cleaned up more than my share of vomit than was allotted to me by the motherhood gods and I am beyond feeling sorry for my daughter, now I just feel sorry for me.

Annabelle got sick last weekend. Feverish, puny. Then she got better--sort of. Then I got sick and then Hyphen (true to form) got sicker. All the while, she had a cough, and would cough so hard she would vomit up everything she ever thought about eating that day. Then on Saturday, she broke out into a fever very suddenly. I got concerned because I secretly, well not so secretly, thought we had the swine flu and a relapse is v.v. bad. So I called the after hours nurse line and they told me to give her some warm apple juice and honey to help with her cough. Okay, that sounds great. While I am at it, I will also get in my time machine and transport myself back into the middle ages to get some leaches, because I think bleeding her will help get rid of the evil spirits that are giving her the fever. Ugh. I want some decongestants bitches! Seriously, why can't we give them to our babies? So annoying.



On Sunday, I had a pitiful child and made a quick trip to the fancy medicaid-less ER, where I rationally explained out situation and the doctor who was wearing Prada glasses and who my grandmother would describe as a foreigner sent me home with a Popsicle and a dose of Motrin and told me she had a virus and it would pass.



The thing is, I know my baby. And I am not an idiot. I hold an advanced degree that gives me the ability to sue a doctor. I know the difference between a cold and something more. So this morning, when she doesn't even want to drink her milk, I take her to my real doctor. Who takes the time, even though he is a man, to listen to her chest. And she has pneumonia. PNEUMONIA. Now, I didn't go to medical school, but I am pretty sure apple juice and Popsicles don't fix that.



Sometimes, lawyers are the heroes of the story. Like when I called that quack shack and used the phrase "gross deviation from the standard of care" and demanded my money back.

Their director of medicine is going to call me.

No comments:

Post a Comment