Monday, November 2, 2009

my first client

My first client was someone, who due to confidentiality reasons, I will refer to as X. I heart X. :) X got a ticket in San Antonio which is pretty shocking, because X has an encyclopedic knowledge of the streets of San Antonio--like you can be on E.Grayson in some weird skank ass neighborhood that they are trying to make into some fancy thing called the "Pearl Brewery Complex" and she will say something like "you better change lanes because there is a pothole coming up." Of course, X is right, she is always right, at least when it comes to the streets of San Antonio, not regarding child rearing or the finer aspects of my life. Anyway, I was surprised to hear that she got one. Of course, X totally pulled the I-am-an-old-lady-recovering-from-a-devastating-disease card on the cop, but he didn't care. I could have told her that, my cop didn't care when I was 9 months pregnant--they put ink on you no matter what your physical condition is. (I can say cop now because I am no longer a prosecutor)

So she called me to ask what to do, and for the first time ever, I was able to help someone. See, I was such a nerd and took my job so seriously that when my family or friends needed help with tickets or had some other clash with polite society, I always said I couldn't give them any legal advice, because my client was the state and I couldn't work against her.

So I made a call to find out who I needed to call, and took care of her ticket over the phone. I hope I got her a good deal. And it felt great to actually be able to help someone.

My second client was myself. I had a trial today and I totally got screwed by my attorney who was just being lazy and didn't want to stay in court all day to try my ticket, and talked me into taking the deferred. Should I grieve myself?

No comments:

Post a Comment