Sunday, November 8, 2009

turd kid update

After a period of relative peace and tranquility, Turd Kid has raised his ugly, wrinkly, head.

We were at the park where there is now a kids' tennis court. Of course, kids rarely play tennis on it, but the toddlers love to get on it and run like the wild demon maniacs they are. Chief among the wild rumpus starters is sweet little Annabelle. She has a peculiar way of running-she keeps her arms bent at angles at her chest, like she is a line-backer, and throws them back and forth, like she is going to knock some people down. It is a joy to watch her run. So we've been at the park for a while, had our tea party, played on the big abacus that Annabelle loves and thinks is "mine" (that's the Asian in her) and finally the family playing badminton on the court leaves. So Annabelle and some other maniacs head over to the court and start to run around.

And then I feel a disturbance in my force. I look up and see turd kid approaching with his sister, mom, and two tennis rackets. Figures. What 5 year old plays tennis????? Annabelle had been patiently waiting to get on the court, which is a hard thing to do for a 20 month old, and then this punk shows up. I was trying to figure out how to explain to her that she would have to leave, when my basest, ugliest, self kicked in.

Turd kid: "we are going to play tennis now."

Crazy me who argues with children: "Oh yeah? Well, we are running around."

Turd kid: "but we are going to play tennis now."

Me (silently praying no other adult was listening): "well, we were here first, so that's too bad."

Turd kid gave me this stunned look and I gave him my look that says "bring it" and scares my family.

Then some real adults approached, to check on their maniacs and our exchange was over. But I stood my ground. In the end, the court proved big enough for a crappy five year old tennis player and a fabulous 20 month old line backer to co-exist.

And you know what? I have no regrets about my behavior. That kid is a real turd, and I am not going to put up with that. Try to kick my baby girl off the tennis court? I don't think so.

No comments:

Post a Comment