Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Recent events have me at Texas children's hospital

I am writing this on a borrowed iPad, any typos may be blamed on that instead of my usual carelessness.

Tallulah got sick. And then she got sicker. And then she was a little better and then worse and then the doctors sent us here. That is the short story. She has, depending on which 28 year old resident you talk to, brochiolitis, pneumonia and some lung collapse that is typical of these conditions. She has been poked and probed and deep suctioned. I have been thrown up on--a lot. here are my thoughts:

1. The nurses at Texas children's are special people , especially Candace and Mary. And they will go directly to heaven.

2. The system which allows a different,smart 28 year old without children of their own, to assess my baby's condition is duplicative, tedious and amusing. I have literally had 2 different residents tell me she looked good and terrible within 3 hours of each other. I have also had one ask me if she drank anything while she was sleeping...

3. The medical student from weslaco Texas is the real deal.

4. My real pediatricians are wonderful people and I learned that two of them considered the priesthood, which shows you the patient and caring nature of doctors.

5. Doctors are patient--they take a wait and see approach. Lawyers are not patient and want things done immediately. Stay at home moms are somewhere in between these two extremes, with this one trending toward the lawyer approach. LET'S DO ANOTHER CHEST X-RAY NOW ASSHOLES!

6. When tallulah was born we got a special present from one of her aunts--a hand-knitted blanket. That has gotten her through this whole ordeal, and everyone from the food techs on down to the lowly residents now know this--don't mess with the blanket. It is also covered with vomit, but we don't care.

7. I sleep well here, despite everything that goes on in the evening, which should really illustrate to you, gentle reader, how loud hyphen snores.

8. Hyphen is a great dad. My mom is an awesome mom. Annabelle is a phenomenal big sister and tallulah's godmother was a godsend, she brought me this iPad.

9. Guess what I want for Christmas, besides healthy children?

10. Pray. Pray unceasingly and constantly with fervor in your heart for my child, for your child, for al our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment