Monday, April 27, 2009

ding ding ding, light bulb moment

So Hyphen had to do a catering this past Saturday. He was gone most of the day to prep for it, came home briefly for lunch and left to go to the event. Normally he would not do a catering because they are a hassle, but since the economy is in the crapper, they have decided to cater again. He came home at about 10:00 with some chips, rotel and a bottle of wine and asked very sweetly, "can you make me some queso?" Now, I was busy. I was busy playing spider-solitaire, a habit which I had broken, but got re-hooked on when my mom came over. So what I was thinking when he asked me to basically put something in the microwave was "uh, what the hell is wrong with you? make your own damn queso." That was my first reaction. However, if there is one thing I have finally learned in life is that my first reaction, while a legitimate emotion and completely valid (to me anyways) is not always the most tactful reaction, let alone nice, and sometimes should not be shared with others. I realized that he had been working while I was at home with our baby, so, I mustered up my inner June Cleaver and said "sure honey, how was the catering?" And I said it very sweetly. Unfortunately one of the many drawbacks of having been married for almost 12 years is that Hyphen can read my looks. And he busted me, saying "that's not what you were going to say." Ugh. After I made the queso he told me the cheese broke because I cooked it too long. I gave him another look for that one too and I am sure he knew what it meant.

No comments:

Post a Comment