Thursday, April 9, 2009

friend count = 9

Since I have been home I have made 9 new friends. Not BFF, but people whose company I legitimately enjoy and would want to hang out with later and whose names I remember. That's my criteria for counting someone as a friend rather than an acquaintance: good company, hang out with later, and names. Most of them I met while in the park , one in the cry-room at church (she connected me with the park contingent) one at story time and 4 while one a walk. The ladies I met on my walk are hilarious and hang out in their front yards every night drinking wine and watching their kids and dogs play while gossiping and talking about "The Biggest Loser." I was wearing a "Kiss My Grits" t-shirt and one of them called out to me "Where'd ya get that shirt? and proceeded to tell me about a friend who dressed up like Flo for Halloween.

A lot of times when IItalic meet people, I instantly don't like them, and that's why I know when I like someone, that I really like them. However, I have to confess that I consider my initial dislike for people to be a major character flaw. So I am surprised and thrilled that I like all of these people. I am embracing them with a Birkelbach -like optimism. Me, the one who once said I had enough people in my life and didn't need any more.

So we will see if this continues. If I can continue to be friendly and open or will I retreat into my house and never leave?

However I will say, that I really don't like the fat lady at the park who gives her one year old cheeto-puffs as a snack. I can totally do without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment