Wednesday, April 22, 2009

technical difficulties and observations

Due to technical difficulties, I have been unable to blog. Also my mom has been in town. Shortly after Annabelle was born my mom had a major back surgery and the doctor told her it would take 6 months before she was up and running. Then in August she was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer that was her-2 positive, which in case you were wondering, sucks. So she feels that she missed out on lots of quality Annabelle time with the back and the chemo and all of that. So she has been here since last Saturday. The following comprises a list of my observations:

1. My mom really likes to watch Wheel of Fortune. She's been doing so for years and knows all of the rules, (not complicated, I know, but I don't watch the show) but she is really,really bad at actually solving the puzzles.

2. My mom likes to watch commercials almost more than t.v. She also likes to tell you about other commercials that she has seen. Somehow this loses something in the translation.

3. My mom also likes to watch the Spurs and eat popcorn. She goes through great trouble to make popcorn a certain way, carefully stirring in the butter that she melted in the same where pan she cooked the popcorn with a wooden spoon. She eats it with pickles on the side. She then told me that she was so happy to watch the game apart from my dad because "daddy gets mad and cusses out the players when they lose." After she gets very comfortable and snuggly on the couch with her blanket (see #8) she proceeds to say something like this "hijole you are stupid......." when the players throw the ball out of bounds.

4. Of course, we do do other things than watch t.v. We went to story time and sang the wheels on the bus, which as I told you Annabelle loves. She loves it so much that Granny will sing the song in the car to her when she is fussy, and it calms her down. Of course granny sings her own verses and they go like this:
"the grandpa in the bus says oh my back, oh my back oh my back" and

" the granny in the bus says faster, faster, faster, I've got to pee, I've got to pee, got to pee"

5. My mom thinks that lots of things will give annabelle diarrhea. Drinking soapy water will give her diarrhea and it should be avoided. Also, eating dirt will give her diarrhea and it should be avoided. These things seem opposite to me and frankly I don't see how it is possible that they can both give you diarrhea especially since she does these things all of when she is outside getting dirty or inside getting clean from being outside and she has never had diarrhea before. But I am wrong. They just can.

6. She is now addicted to spider solitaire, but doesn't want me to tell my dad, because she wants to surprise him with her new found knowledge/habit so they can fight over the computer to get their fix.

7. Annbelle should never be uncomfortable in any way whatsoever. Apparently I frequently make her uncomfortable. For instance, I should travel with a little pillow brace in my car so that when she falls asleep and her head slopes over, I can prop it up with said brace so she won't have a crick in her neck. I counter with that if she was truly uncomfortable, she wouldn't have fallen asleep, stayed asleep and would certainly not be snoring. At work, my arguments generally prevailed, but in the realm of Annabelle they are met with general disdain and are frequently overruled by Judge Granny.

8. Me: "hey mom, let's share this throw blanket."

Mom: "no, what's with you and this sharing? I'm not annabelle, go get your own."

She's leaving tomorrow and I might cry.

1 comment:

  1. Stella, put it all in a book, advertise, go on local talk shows, sell it....it's funny, so honest, i said funny, i love reading this stuff.....do it and no more catering for Hyphen! college for Annabelle...you can buy all the goldfish you want....you gotta do this!

    ReplyDelete