Monday, April 6, 2009

Monday story- time

Mondays at work usually mean a jury trial. Which means you get to work early, print out some signs for the prospective jurors to look at and do some last minute stuff before you rush to court. Then you get to court and that is when you figure out what case you are going to try, because invariably the case you spent the previous week preparing for has settled or the defense attorney has the flu, or your officer can't be there or some other such nonsense. So then you scramble to get witnesses lined up, call off the other witnesses for the cancelled case, do some other pleas on other cases that were set, and then finally you pick your jury. Then you figure out in your allotted 30 minutes which people out of sixty hate you because they don't like your suit, your accent, your point of view. Then a quick break for lunch and then trial starts. Mondays at work can be exhausting.

This is Monday, and today I took Annabelle to the library for story-time. Now let me preface this--- I have never done this before because fun little activities like this are always during the day-- scheduling that proves that there is a vast and definitely right wing conspiracy against working moms. So I had no idea what to expect. I got there and met a nice mom and her daughter-- Annabelle promptly started eating her food. Then the other moms started filing in. I checked them out, they all looked pretty normal, mostly my age-ish, educated types. We all sat in chairs in a circle and the story-time lady, Sidney, told us it was time to start. I was wondering why no one was sitting down in the center for the story-- I soon found out. Sidney said "it's wheels on the bus time" and then all the normal, my age-ish, educated looking women started to sing "The wheels on the bus"-- oh yeah-- did I mention there were hand movements too? My first instinct was die a death of hysterical laughing at the sight of all these grown women singing this ridiculous song. Then I saw that Annabelle was into it. She was dancing and mimicking the movements and I also realized that I knew most of the words. So how did I learn these words? I am definitely not the type of mom who listens to kid music, because frankly it's all garbage and I don't think you foster music appreciation by having kids listen to bad music. So it must have been something I learned as a child, because for some reason, as a society we have decided that kids need to experience swish, swish, swish, etc., and as I realized this I decided not to be so judgy-- when in f***ing rome, sing wheels on the bus dammit.

All in all, it was actually pretty fun.

On the Hypen front, here is a snippet of the conversation I just had:

H: "You know what I think I should be? A professional golfer, what are your thoughts on that?"

Me: "Do you know how to play golf?"

H: "No, but I could learn."

No comments:

Post a Comment